ID the Future

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Good News about Wikipedia

I found some really good news as I was working on the Japanese translation for the "Who Brainwashed Who? 2" post...Wikipedia has done some SERIOUS editing of the articles that I had linked to. Now the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaeous _generation link is redirected to a totally revamped link titled Abiogenesis, that gives a much better presentation of the facts. THANK YOU to all those who work to make Wikipedia an up-to-date and valuable resource.

I am,however, going to leave the original English post as is because there is a lot of relevant information that can be used even if the links to Wikipedia are not as they were. Honestly my main complaint was not against Wikipedia.

I am extremely grateful that Wikipedia reworked their articles to give a much more balanced reporting of the facts. However, there are many textbooks from elementary school through university level that still write on the subject in basically the way Wikipedia had reported before. Providing only the barest facts, and intentionally or unintentionally, leaving quite a bit of recent and/or relevant information unmentioned. This leaves the reader with a very one-sided interpretation of the subject at hand. When this is done intentionally it is, as I wrote it in the previous post, a form of "brainwashing".

Kudos to the volunteers at Wikipedia, I hope a lot of web sites and textbook companies will follow your example.


No comments: